Slots can be one of the most enjoyable games at an online casino, but before you go spinning the reels like there’s no tomorrow you’re gonna want to know the basics first so you know what you’re doing. Read on to learn more!
The rules of the game are straightforward enough. You place a bet, spin the reels, and if you’re lucky enough to land a winning combination, you collect a reward. Simple as that!
You’re going to encounter a couple of options that are generally in most slot games. These are:
- Reels – Reels refer to the spinning columns on the screen containing the symbols of the game. Most slot games online have 3 reels (3-reel games) and 5 reels (5-reel games).
Other games have more reels and varying amounts of rows.
- Denominations – The denomination of a slot game refers to the minimum amount you have to bet in order for you to play. You can always bet more once you’ve chosen your denomination. Some slots offer a single denomination, while others have multiple denominations. For multi-denomination games, just pick the amount that you’re comfortable with before you play. If you want to change the denomination of the game, you can do so after every spin. Also, you won’t be able to change denominations if you happen to find yourself in a bonus round.
- Payline – The payline refers to the number of lines that will give you a payout. Old-school slot machines had only one payline which was the set of matching symbols in the middle of the reel. Today, online slot games can go up to more than a hundred paylines. More paylines mean more chances of winning. Make sure to check out the rules of the slot game you want to play so you know the paylines you have to get and how much you can bet to win at all of them.
How to Bet on Online Slots
- Click the line button and choose how many lines you’re winning to bet.
- Then, go to the line bet button and adjust the amount you’re willing to bet for every line.
- Click the spin button and wait for the results. With any luck, you’re bound to get a winning line and a nice payout.
Each symbol on the reel is worth differently and some symbols are worth more than others. If you happen to get a payline with a high-value symbol, then you’ll get a bigger payout.
Read the pay table of your specific slot game to know the exact value of their symbols and how much you’re going to get if you get a certain number of symbols in a row.
Wild symbols are one of the best symbols on the reel. If you see this come up in your game, this will turn into any symbol you need to get a winning line.
Multipliers will multiply the amount of your payout by 2x, 3x, 5x, or more depending on the symbol. Some games have multipliers and other don’t, so that’s worth considering if you’re choosing a slot game to play.
Think of bonuses as rewards for playing the game. Each slot game has its own set of bonuses and its own set of rules for launching bonuses, so check the game info section so you know how to get them.
Hitting the jackpot means you’ve won the highest payout. The higher the denomination game you’re playing, the higher the jackpot will be. Some games require you to put in the max bet in order for you to hit the biggest jackpot, so be mindful of that.
Progressive Jackpots are definitely something you have to look out for. While some slot games have a fix amount set for their jackpots, some games offer progressive jackpots. A progressive jackpot means the highest payout is raised constantly until someone wins it. Some slots allow multiple games and multiple players to contribute to the jackpot which means the jackpot gets bigger and bigger over time.
- Contrary to popular theories, online slots from reputable game developers are not rigged in any way. Rather, they are programmed using a random number generator (RNG). This is important because there is no possible way for you to beat the game and the results are influenced by pure luck. Think of slot machines like the lottery and play responsibly.
- With that said, there are such things as RTP or Return To Player percentages. This is the rate in which a slot game is programmed to pay out a player in the long run. For example, a slot game with a 90% RTP is a good indication that it can give you a good return over a long period of time. It’s still wise to remember that this return is not guaranteed.
- Do your research before playing and check to see if your slot game of choice has a volatility that matches your risk appetite. Low volatility games pay out more, but the rewards are very small, while high volatility games rarely give a payout, but they’re likely to have a huge payout.
- There are literally thousands of online slot games available right now. Each one with its own unique aesthetic and gameplay. This also means every game has its own sets of rules and guidelines for their paylines, bonuses, jackpots, and more. To make sure you get the most out of playing slots, get into the habit of reading the rules and game info before playing.
It’s almost impossible to find a casino without a slot machine. Their popularity is owed to the fact that it’s easy to play and there’s always the possibility of winning the jackpot. Today, you don’t need to play at a casino to get your slot fix, you can win big at slots in any online casino of your choice. With all of the basics out of the way, you’re now ready to take on the slot machines. May luck be on your side!